Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 31 July 2017

That's reet Campion

The garden synergetic trap was back out last night for the first time in a few days, given that it was dry, cloudy and the wind had dropped. But overall it was still a low catch - the summer peak is well and truly over and we're in that annual lull between the summer variety and the autumn noctuid glut.

Whilst having a quick nose at the trap before I went to bed, I could see a smallish noctuid high up on the wall above our kitchen window (and therefore above the trap) but couldn't see exactly what it was. But it did look interesting, so I got one of the garden chairs and set about precariously standing on it and reaching up to pot the moth. Having done that, I thought I knew what it was but in torchlight outside and artificial light indoors I thought my eyes might be deceiving me. It went in the fridge and I forgot about it until I got home from work. And yes, there was a feint remaining trace of lilac colour and it was indeed a garden-first Campion.

Campion
678th garden moth, 317th macro and 11th garden tick this year with others pending

Not much else in there to be honest, so to sign off here's another one that's changed name ......

Acrobasis advenella

No comments: