Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 24 June 2012

Huncote Embankment 23/06/2012 - Flowering Stuff

So, following from the last post - did I find the Wild Liquorice? Yes! Pleased with this as it is very scarce in VC55. I was looking in the wrong area previously, though I was also looking for something smaller than it actually is. It's not quite in full flower as yet.

 
Wild Liquorice

I also realised that something I'd undoubtedly seen before and ignored was Common Cudweed - again actually quite scarce in VC55 (although it's doing very well here) ...

Common Cudweed

Another new one for me came about once I noticed that the Black Medick wasn't all the same ....

Lesser Trefoil - smaller flowers and rounded leaves versus ....

.... the larger flowers and sharp-pointed leaves of Black Medick

Another new one for me, though quite ugly, was this .....

Musk Thistle

And two more that I've failed to take any notice of before ........

Hairy Tare

Crested Dog's-tail

This one isn't new .....

White Clover

I have one further plant to ID - hopefully I can post that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mark G. Telfer said...

Look out for the weevil Pseudoprotapion astragali on Wild Liquorice. It's a smart one and Nationally Scarce (Na), May to October.

Skev said...

Will do - though there are just two clumps of this plant and probably none others within a few square miles. I also had Grapholita pallifrontana in mind but it's unlikely for the same reason.