Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 24 May 2012

From the garden trap 23/05/2012

Another improved night in the garden traps ....

Total catch 36 of 18sp.
(125W MV 19 of 14sp., 22W/18W Synergetic/CFL combo 17 of 9sp.)


0017  Common Swift (Hepialus lupulinus)  2 (NFY)
0130  Incurvaria masculella  1 (NFY)
0247  Tinea trinotella  2
0409a  Argyresthia trifasciata  5
0602  Elachista apicipunctella  1 (NFY)
0647  Brown House Moth (Hofmannophila pseudospretella)  1
0892  Mompha subbistrigella  2
0998  Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana)  1
1651  Chinese Character (Cilix glaucata)  1 (NFY)
1776  Green Carpet (Colostygia pectinataria)  8
1819  Mottled Pug (Eupithecia exiguata)  1 (NFY)
1834  Common Pug (Eupithecia vulgata)  3
1857  Dwarf Pug (Eupithecia tantillaria)  1 (NFY)
1906  Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata)  3
1920  Scalloped Hazel (Odontopera bidentata)  1 (NFY)
1936  Waved Umber (Menophra abruptaria)  1
2000  Iron Prominent (Notodonta dromedarius)  1 (NFY)
2078  Least Black Arches (Nola confusalis)  1

Also in the synergetic trap was a Cantharis nigricans, which I decided to pot up to try and get a better photo. In reality I've ended up just grabbing a quick shot anyway - the reason being that once I'd got the camera set up I nipped into the garden to get a bit of slate to plonk it on when I found this sat on the garden table bold as brass .....

 Hairy Rove Beetle - smart, in an odd sort of beetle way. And a tick.

Trouble is to get the above shot took much more time and effort than I could really afford this evening. The Cantharis ended up being another grabbed shot anyway.

Cantharis nigricans

So, the reason for being short of time? I've been busily getting myself sorted and the car loaded for a foray down to West Sussex to meet up with a plethora of naturalists/bloggers/listers for a couple of days in the field. I expect to learn lots, and amply demonstrate my complete and utter novice status in all things non-lepidopteran. I may well even show myself up on the lepidopteran front!! Of course I will be taking the opportunity to run some traps down there tomorrow night, abeit a modest four plus sheet - no point going overboard as I anticipate both days will be long and full. Up early tomorrow to get the garden traps emptied and loaded into the car and then I'll be heading down at 6ish.

No comments: