Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 17 July 2011

Spotted Sand.

Back on 9th May 1998, four blokes in VC55 were busily bird racing and building up what would turn out to be a then record day list for Leicestershire (109 species, excluding Rutland and any dodgy ferals and hybrids). The four blokes were racing under the Leicester Llamas name, and were Andy Mackay, Richard Fray, Dave Gray and myself. The day was made all the better when, happily, the first Spotted Sandpiper for VC55 conveniently dropped in to the Leics. side of Eyebrook Res whilst we were over that way. Superb - and in true birding style it was all the sweeter as a few other county listers were busily poncing about on holiday including the then County recorder Rob Fray. So, a county day list record including a VC first that the county recorder missed, and undoubtedly a blocker for future county listers for years to come. Superb.

Or at least it was for 13 years until last Wednesday when one popped up at Rutland Water. Even worse, the inconsiderate spotty bastard is still there today. I know we should all be less churlish when it comes to birding, but come on! Next thing I know there'll be a bloody Crag Martin lazily flitting about over the bird fair .........

No - I haven't been to see it, or done any mothing. I've been watching Darren Clarke win the Open instead.

4 comments:

Stewart said...

Inconsiderate spotty bastard! Luv it! I've never heard of one of our finest vagrant waders recorded in such a poetic fashion...

The Leicester Llama said...

Was the Eyebrook bird on the Leics side? I remember it being on the Rutland bank, but we had agreed with the Melton team that anything at EBR was countable for the purposes of the race. Could be wrong though - it was a long time ago!

Skev said...

I was pleased to remember it being at Eyebrook, let alone precisely whereabouts. Either way, the 13 year gloss lost it's shine over the last week - even Rob could've come back and got that one!

I wouldn'd mind so much if one or two of the other decent waders - the ones I need - stuck around for a while instead of fecking off within hours of arriving (Stilt Sand, Buff-breasted, Broad-billed ..).

John Hague said...

I saw the EBR bird on both sides... I think when you lot had it it was definitely on the Leics bank as it flew across to Rutty as I was watching it.