Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 8 April 2011

Sunshine Ticks

Finished work mid-afternoon, and it was gloriously sunny and warm so I headed back over to Watermead CP South for a better look around than I managed yesterday. One thing that was immediately evident was carloads of annoying people with their dogs and huge bags of bread. Fortunatelym the majority of these are incapable of leaving the immediate vicinity of the car park, so even on a busy day it is possible to get away and enjoy some relative peace.

The other immediately evident thing was, in stark contrast to yesterday, a complete absence of hirundines over the water or in visible airspace - no a single one during the whole visit. A scan across the water toward the island did provide one unexpected City yeartick though with a drake Red-crested Pochard tucked up against the bank in amongst swans and geese. Walking around it was alive with Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, but otherwise fairly quiet. Apart from the odd Reed Bunting singing, I picked up single singing Sedge Warbler and Willow Warbler - two more City yearticks.

As ever these days, the interest in birding waned and I slipped into general naturalist mode. Plenty of butterflies about, including my first Orange-tips and Large Whites of the year though none settled anywhere near me or long enough for a shot. A few more flowers out as well ...

Marsh-marigold

Cuckooflower

Common Dog Violet

When I got home, the Blackcap on the embankment next to the garden was really going for it. It woke me up singing this morning as well. Another first for the year butterfly flitted into view, a Holly Blue. I also found a big queen Buff-tailed Bumblebee in the garden; it was in the border clutching onto a fallen sallow catkin and nectaring like a maniac. It seemed to be drunk ...



Nothing exciting to report from the garden moth traps, nothing new for the year and low numbers (26 of 7sp). The traps are back on tonight, though not the usual traps. I have the 125W MV running and a 160W blended bulb due to this ...

What a twat! I dropped the actinic/tungsten vane assembly, shattering one tube, damaging the other and snapping a vane off. I will be repaired but off-line for a while. Photographed after cleaning up the glass .....

No comments: