Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 19 August 2010

A few odd bits ....

I've had a busy few days at work after taking a long weekend off and haven't had a chance to catch up. Not too much excitement in the moth traps anyway but I'll summarise that separately. Instead here's a few odd bits from the weekend and a visit to Conkers on Monday.

I'll start with some very common birds, which are pretty much I can get close to and have seen recently..

Moorhen
juv Moorhen

Coot
Coot

Mallard
Mallard - doing what dabbling ducks do

I've ordered and been waiting for a new photographic toy which will hopefully turn up at the weekend or Monday latest - hopefully I'll be able to get closer to smaller and more interesting birds then!


Nichola found this mass of Buff-tip caterpillars gregariously hanging off of an Oak sapling fairly low down. First time I've seen these so I was very pleased.

Buff-tip

Buff-tip

Buff-tip


Here's a few other random insects ..

Small Heath
Small Heath

Common Blue
Common Blue

Common Darter
Common Darter

Meadow Grasshopper
Meadow Grasshopper


Finally, a couple from the garden ..

Slender Groundhopper
Slender Groundhopper - or at least I think it is

Sarcophaga carnaria
Sarcophaga carnaria - a Flesh Fly

No comments: