Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 23 September 2009

Hop-dog +

A few bits from the last few days, starting with this wacky caterpillar that Josh & Alex found on our front garden on Sunday: Pale Tussock I reckon it fell out of the cherry tree on the front, but I'm rearing it on lilac at the moment. Really smart caterpillar this one, in days gone by it used to be very common in hop fields and gained the common name of Hop-dog. Here's a couple of micros I've identified from Dungeness: Celypha cespitana - a new one for me. Feeds on thyme, sea-lavender and other similar herbaceous plants Agonopterix scopariella - another new one for me. Feeds on broom, loads of that at Dungeness Gelechiid pending ID confirmation - jury is out on this one. Possibly Teleiopsis diffinis but will be gen detted to confirm (there were c450 of them across the traps!) The garden traps have been rubbish over the last few days, the only interesting species both turned up last night: Pink-barred Sallow Dark Sword-grass Red sky at night, I'm not bothering with the traps ....

No comments: