Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 31 August 2008

Best Kingfisher on the Galaxy - 29/08/2008

About 07:45 in the morning, and I'm just getting ready to leave out for work when I hear Nichola shout 'Mark - quick come and see!' from Alex's bedroom. Having no idea what the fuss was about, I ambled in to have a look and bugger me there's a Kingfisher perched on the rubberised strip running along the roof-line of our Galaxy. A superb and completely unexpected garden tick - there are no running streams or brooks within half a mile or so of our house and the Galaxy is hardly the ideal perch. I ran downstairs and grabbed the DSLR, and just managed to get a couple of very quick shots before it realised that there were no fish on the Galaxy roof and fecked off. Turned out that Nichola had just opened the curtains and the Kingfisher just dashed into view and made a very undignified landing. No idea if it had been chased there by one of the local Sparrowhawks.

Superb bird on a knackered old car.

Unlike another great bird that Nichola found, at least I got to see this garden first in the flesh. I got home one day a few years ago to be presented with a snippet of video footage of a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the cherry tree - bloody good job there have been a few since!

No comments: