Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 18 April 2008

Thornton Reservoir 18/04/2008

Back again - this site is pretty easy to get to quickly from my work. I'm visiting more regularly than the Thornton Mothman! Anyway, a call from John just before I left work lead me to return to look for a Redstart found a little earlier by the Wearside Whippet, Brian Moore. John had seen it but had to leave to collect his car from a service. Shortly after arriving Allen Pocock also turned up, and we spent the next hour failing to see the said Start. John returned but still no sign. Throughout the visit I kept scanning through the Swallows and Sand Martins and I eventually picked up a couple of House Martins amongst them. Aside from these, Yellow Wagtails, the Little Owls and a couple of Sparrowhawks were the only birds of interest. The main field held the ugliest cow I've ever seen. If it had been a lot warmer and brighter I may have taken a photo to illustrate this fact, but frankly I couldn't be arsed. I left Allen and the newly arrived Grayboy to continue the search ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the Redstart as well. I've decided its better to stay home and let the tourists find the good birds and I'll just steam in and mop them up....

Russ Malin said...

Hang on ! Why am I anonymous....

Russ Malin said...

That's better............