Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 27 February 2008

Quake!!

It's the middle of the night, 00:56, I'm in bed with Nichola and the bed is rattling. This was of course due to an earthquake and not sexual relations :-( We were both awakened by the sudden and very noticeable movement of the whole house and I was immediately sure that it was an earthquake. I was most surprised this morning though to find that the epicentre was in Market Rasen, Lincs. - some 75miles away from our house. With the intensity I thought it was going to be closer, maybe another Melton Mowbray incident. In the immediate aftermath, after we calmed down Isabelle who'd also woken up, it was clear that a few of the neighbours were out in the cul-de-sac trying to work out what had gone on. Not sure what they were expecting to see! A strange but somehow pleasing experience - although I'm sure that those a lot nearer with chimneys coming down etc would have found the experience more frightening. I was at home with Nichola when there was a quake centred in Dudley a few years ago, but I was actually in the shower when it hit and didn't notice anything, so I felt a bit like I'd missed out.

1 comment:

Russ Malin said...

I'm sure you can relate to the lack of sleep when you have a baby but we had all FINALLY got to sleep then whallop! In fact it's the first time in nine months that the earth has moved in our bedroom!! I was worried living so close to Thornton Res that we may have had a Tsunami..........